Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Grazing Garden

I'll never win a garden contest. A few years back, inanely proud of my yard, I hinted to a gardener friend that I might like to enter a garden show. Uh, no, she countered. it's about the weeds. Ouch. Okay, so I have a soft spot for these overlooked gems!

It's a hard-working garden, providing flowers, tea and salads, healing herbs, and a few vegetables. The veggie garden is right in the front yard, where the sun is. Right alongside the flowers. How very gemini. Only about 10X8, it's rare to find enough of any one vegetable to make a meal for a family of four.

Instead, it's become a favourite snacking place, or, as our Amber has dubbed it, the grazing garden. On the way to or from the front gate, it's fun to grab a few strawberries or snow peas. A mid-morning snack of arugula is my idea of a treat. Can't wait for the cherry tomatoes. It just doesn't get any fresher!

No, I guess we won't make it to the cover of any known gardening magazine. But it sure is a pleasure, all the same. I appreciate it every day.

No comments: